Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Roadgeek FAQ: Carolina Circle Mall

On all of my blogs, I will post an FAQ about me and a certain interest. Obviously, since this is Carolina Circle City, the following FAQ will be about Carolina Circle Mall.

Q. What was your favorite version of the mall? Ice Rink Version or Carousel Version?
A. Carousel Version. I grew up going to the Carolina Circle with green/pink and a carousel. Even though I was born after the ice rink years, if it wasn't for the carousel, I wouldn't care about the mall as much.

Q. What was your favorite store?
A. Montgomery Ward. It had everything from your electronics to your apparel. I remember that smell it always had outside and inside. It's too unique to describe. During the demolition, I could still smell it.

Q. Have you ever done anything at Carolina Circle that you've never done again?
A. One time around 1995 or 1996, we bought a patio swing (we still have it) at a kiosk somewhere between the food court and Dillard's. The package was too big to carry out our pickup truck parked in the back of the mall. So we had to go through the emergency exit. Fortunately, the alarm didn't go off. That marked my first and only trip through an emergency exit.

Q. Did any of your first events occur at Carolina Circle?
A. I saw my first movie at the theater at the mall. I believe it was Home Alone 2.

Q. Did you ever eat anything at the mall you wished you didn't eat?
A. Yes. When I was about 5 or 6 after the Carolina Deli closed, they became Subs & Spuds. So I got a sub there, and it was terrible. I might have liked it if were 15, but I hated mayonase and I still hate mayonase.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. But please keep it clean. :)

4 comments:

Livemalls said...

No questions, but a few answers:

Q. What was your favorite version of the mall? Ice Rink Version or Carousel Version?
A. Ice Rink Version. The Carousel Version is nice, and I actually remember more form then, but the Ice Rink Version was more distinctive.

Q. What was your favorite stores?
A. Montgomery Ward and Ivey's.

Q. Have you ever done anything at Carolina Circle that you've never done again?
A. Not really, but it was cool anyhow.

Q. Did any of your first events occur at Carolina Circle?
A. I went to my first Montgomery Ward there.

Q. Did you ever eat anything at the mall you wished you didn't eat?
A. Other than popcorn or maybe a meal at Picadilly, I don't remember eating there at all.

Anonymous said...

Ice rink version. No question. They used to have a restaurant that looked over the ice skating. Way cool.

Anonymous said...

You made me remember the mall when it first opened. They had a skate park and a water slide in the back. That must have been in the late 70s. Awesome.

Anonymous said...

I forgot about the waterslide! Wow...my favorite is, hands down, the ice rink version. I think the mall started its rapid decline after they removed the rink. Favorite stores were DA Kelley's and East West Gifts. My first time ice skating was there. I remember eating at the restaurant overlooking the rink, I know it was Annabelle's at one time, but I am thinking it was something else originally, Tuesday's or something.