Monday, September 12, 2005

Carolina Circle Tunes

Music fills in everything. Music has added the seasoning to my road trips. But it also adds the seasoning to Carolina Circle Mall. Carolina Circle has a variety of music stylings much like road music. Probably the artist that really reminds me of Carolina Circle would probably be Phil Collins. They would always play his music at a lot of stores at that mall like at Montgomery Ward.

The Back to the Future the Second Trilogy (Official Roadgeek and Carolina Circle Movie), has the mother load of Carolina Circle scenes. Every movie has a soundtrack and recently I have discovered some new Carolina Circle Tunes.

Time for a top 5 countdown:

5. Lightning Strikes by Lou Christie. For some reason that song reminds me a lot of Carolina Circle's early years before it was renovated. Even though I haven't witnessed the pre-renovation Carolina Circle, that song mixes well with the pictures of the mall in 1976.

4. Vacation by The Go-Go's. That song reminds me of the carousel. Even though the carousel wasn't there when the song was released in 1982, the song is very 80's and the design at the time of the carousel was as well very 80's.

3: Baby Come Back by UB40. This song is straight from the Back to the Future the Second Soundtrack. Although I've never heard it at the mall, I now consider it a Carolina Circle Tune because of the movie.

2. One More Night by Phil Collins. That song would always play on the car radio coming back from Winston-Salem on Wednesday night. Seeing the neon red main entrance arch with One More Night playing on the radio. Even though on Wednesdays I always went to Hanes Mall and not Carolina Circle.

1. Two Hearts by Phil Collins. Nothing says Carolina Circle Mall better than this song. That song would be played a lot at Montgomery Ward. With that being my favorite store at the mall and having a place in my heart for the mall, that song reminds me of two things: Carolina Circle Mall and driving to North Myrtle Beach on my 2005 Beach Trip.

Music makes the World Go Round. Or in this case, makes the "Circle" go round.

1 comment:

Livemalls said...

I thought I'd put in my 2 cents on this. My CCM song list is a little different but just as cool.

5. Laughter In The Rain by Neil Sedaka. It's a very chill, easy-listening mall song. I don't know if I ever heard it there, but it seems like something that might be played over the PA.

4. You Know How To Love Me by Phyllis Hyman. You can't broach the subject of CCM without some disco. This song captures that easygoing vibe that Greensboro had back in the day (and still has) and feels very CCM.

3. Rockit 2 U by The Jets. This one I do remember hearing as I passed Fifth Avenue Menswear upstairs in the late '80s. Summed up the post-renovation CCM for me.

2. Almost anything by Roger Troutman and Zapp. Zapp's song "Computer Love" and the Roger songs "Thrill Seekers" and "Night and Day" come espeically to mind. Slightly over the top and yet somehow appropriate for the time period and mall.

1. Anything by Earth Wind & Fire. For some reason, If I think of CCM, I think of EWF. Maybe becuase they weree both big around the same time. The three songs that really hit home for me with that mall are the instrumentals "Sun Goddess" (which sticks out in my mind as the last song I remember hearing in the CCM common area) and "Biyo" and the song "Can't Hide Love," which is my official Montgomery Ward song.