Thursday, November 08, 2007

The Price is Right= Carolina Circle Mall

Alright, in honor of Carolina Circle City's 200th post, I present to you this bizarre and interesting comparison.

If you haven't already noticed, I am a huge fan of The Price is Right. I've been a fan of the show since I was literally a baby. Simply put, I think it's the greatest game show ever created.

Well, after watching videos of the show and looking at picture's of the shows set, I've come to this weird conclusion. The Price is Right shares a lot of similarities with Carolina Circle Mall.

First of all, The Price is Right has been known for it's 1970s look and feel. The set has remained almost the same since the show started in 1972. Even with the new set for Season 36, it still looks like the '70s.

Carolina Circle Mall also had a very 1970s look and feel from the time it opened in 1976 (four years after The Price is Right debuted) to the time it closed in the early '00s. Even a new colorful and neon color scheme that the mall received in the late '80s wasn't enough to bring the mall out of the '70s.

Which brings me to my next similarity. When The Price is Right was expanded to an hour in 1975 (one year before Carolina Circle Mall opened), the show also received a new colorful set. By the mid '80s, the set centered around a green and pink color scheme, which would remain until Bob Barker's retirement in 2007, although this was more noticeable in the '80s and '90s. Take a look at some of these great 3D renderings here. You'll have to scroll down a little bit.

Now, do those "priceless" colors on the show's set look familiar? Take a look at this Cory Maiden picture of Carolina Circle Mall's Carousel and food court on the left. Take a close look at the giant butterfly's color in the top right corner and take a look at the color of the walls. They look almost identical to The Price is Right. And I bet the turntable's carpet could also be found as a shaggier version at Montgomery Ward.

Alright, you probably think I've gone nuts. I apologize. But to me, if you want to see a little bit of Carolina Circle Mall, tune to CBS weekdays at 11:00 AM.

No comments: